Friday, February 5, 2016

Learning to Cook: Day 3

My grandmother decided that my life was too peaceful, and announced that I'd be cooking tonight (paneer). Thankfully, she was worried enough about feeding us edible food that she watched over me and gave me detailed instructions. Nevertheless, being the person standing with the spoon in front of the gas was as daunting as anything I've done.
Learnings:
1. The classic: always go easy on the salt. You can add more, but you can't remove excess.
2. Add milk if it's too thick: it makes the food both taste AND look good.
3. I am too impatient and too worried about getting messy and/or getting burned to ever be able to cook as easily as my grandmother and mother do.
4. The best part of cooking is when you drop everything into the pan and stir.
To do:
1. Pay attention to the gas, and what level it's on.
2. Learn to figure out sufficiency of salt by taste.
It came out pretty well, if I do say so myself. ^_^
(Even if I was only the arm obeying my grandmother's mind and skill.)
~Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment