Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Inheritance

Note: Here, I will be speaking of both the Inheritance Cycle and the last book of the series, Inheritance. If you haven't read them, you probably won't understand this.


I know, I know. It's cliched and it's tediously descriptive, it brings nothing new to the table and we all know what the ending will be. The problems are all easily solvable, with no real struggle, nor does it make you emote like other series of the same genre. Each book is about five times longer than it should be, the style of writing doesn't do much to commend itself, and the plot is pretty much something a fifth grader would come up with. Evil powerful king vs young untested boy? *yawn* Been there, done that. I'm too old for such books, and should probably be reading deep shit like this, or even better, catching up on that whole backlog of work before someone kills me.

But. Despite all of that, I still love it. I know everything will end happily ever after, and that Christopher Paolini (probably) doesn't have the strength (or meanness) required to kill off major characters, unlike a certain author who shall remain unnamed (but really. Why DOBBY? Why, J K Rowling, WHY? I finally almost forgave you for Sirius, and then you had to go kill Fred and Dobby? How could you be so heartless! You're such a talented author, I'm sure you could have come up with a way to make the story just as interesting without killing everyone that garnered an ounce of sympathy from me. But no, you had to go and show the world that nothing could come in the way of the story, not even basic humanity.)

Anyway. Inheritance. So..I know that Eragon will find some magic way of solving every problem in the world, and that he and Arya will get together somehow, and that Galbatorix will be defeated and all of Alagaesia will be at peace, and everyone will live happily ever after. But I don't know how. And I want to know. I need to know. Whatever you say about Paolini's writing skill, he's made me want that, need that. And so I will buy the book, and read it, and defend it, and love it.

And you can laugh all you want.

~Sam

I'm not sure why I wrote this. I just had to get that out there.



UPDATE: So apparently I was wrong in some of my predictions. Which, trust you me, does nothing to help the book. I'd rather it had taken its predictable way to its predictable end, than what actually happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment