Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Will There be Fire?

What do I dream, what do I desire?
What burning thoughts flame my inner fire?
Is there a fire, is there desire?
Or has it gone out in this daily quagmire
Of routine and work, sunken hopes and dying dreams.
So all that is gone which once burst from my seams,
So all that is gone which once burned in my eyes-
Fires and desires smothered in implacable ice.
I drown in poetry, I dream of Literature,
And yet, "Get down to Earth," snaps my law teacher.
Was it the right choice, will I ever know?
Will the fruits of taking the safer path ever show?
A glint in the eye, the sigh of a desired job well done-
Will passion and flame ever my insides burn?
Or will it forever be hopeless fatigue's turn?
Will there be fire, will there be desire?


~Sam

2 comments:

  1. Wow. One of those poems in which the meaning instantly hits your head and at the same time, the rhyming seems effortless (though I can imagine that a lot of effort has been put in). Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. It means a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete