Monday, November 5, 2012

Venting


This whole stereotype that the fat girl who is never seen eating is dieting.
Pisses.
Me.
Off.
It doesn’t matter if it’s true in a given scenario. Why is that conclusion the first to be jumped to anyway? Why is any conclusion jumped to? Why can’t we just shut up and accept the explanation given to us-and if we don’t accept it, keep our goddamned stupid opinions to ourselves? 


More on stereotypes, we do tend to stereotype a lot, don’t we? I learned this the relatively hard way, when one of my closest friends told me she thought I was an arrogant nerd the first time she saw me, and another now-close friend admitted she thought I was a scary bitch. I laughed (duh-me, scary or bitchy, really?) but when you think about it…I wonder how many of the stereotypes I’ve created in my head, intentionally or not, have been as wrong as theirs were.

Revelling in her scary-bitchiness,
~Sam. 

2 comments:

  1. "This whole stereotype that the fat girl who is never seen eating is dieting.
    Pisses.
    Me.
    Off."
    Idk about dieting, but starving yourself. is a serious issue. Eating Disorders are serious issues that need to be addressed more often. So asking if you're dieting/starving yourself could sometimes mean genuine concern. Because a lot of people THINK they're fat, but they're not, and they still diet/develop eating disorders/whatever and we're just worried about them.
    Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this wasn't genuine concern, I'd recognize that. It was more mean than concerned.
      And the girl in question wasn't eating because the food sucked.
      The rest, yeah, seconded.

      Delete