Thursday, August 8, 2013

Why is wisdom so unfun?

The wise guy never has any fun in any book, movie or story that I know of, while it's always the dumb ones goin' all YOLO and partyin' the night away. Don't get me wrong, that isn't my idea of fun, but why are wise people always portrayed as these dudes who're over worldly pleasures and don't want to do anything but ponder over the sadness of life? Why is dumb equated with fun and happy, and wisdom with maturity (the boring kind of maturity) and permanent solemnity? Clearly there is more to life than chilling, but chilling is a part-and, I would argue, an important part-of living. And I think wisdom involves recognizing that.

~Sam

2 comments:

  1. Wisdom isn't unfun! Maybe they're portrayed that way. The only difference is that the dumb ones are showing off the fact that they're having fun; the wise ones aren't. But quietly, within their minds, they're probably having even more fun :D

    ReplyDelete