Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Capacity to Survive

What gives me hope for the human race is that we usually manage to handle what we have to. Somehow or the other, we survive. We finish the project. We calm the crying child. We accept our grief. We survive. 

I never thought I could handle laundry and food and cleaning and generally running a household before I moved out. But I could. I never thought I could survive that History course in college. I did. And let's not restrict this to the little things. There are people my age who are mothers. I don't think I could handle a child. But if I were put in that position-I think I would. When the Arctic circle melts and global warming is unbearable because we as a species suck at long term planning, I think we'll figure out a way to handle it. When flying cockroaches take over the world, we'll figure out a way to handle it.

Because we survive. Scarred, wounded, hurt, traumatized, one way or another, we survive. And we heal. And we move on, to survive new things. 


~Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment